<span class="highlight">Stone</span> <span class="highlight">Guard</span>

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 16:19
ThreadID: 37375 Views:2299 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am wanting to know if anyone out there has a good design for a stane guard for a cavalier camper trailer, an original one cost $570 approx but im sure that there are some better home made one around.

Any photo's, links to site or information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nick R - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 16:43

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 16:43
Kevin,
have you done a search? about 2 months ago there were pics of a good home made one which ran shade cloth from the rear bumper of the towing vehicle back under the drawbar of the trailer, stopped stones from being lifted completely
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 192500

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin H (WA) - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 16:56

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 16:56
Thanks Nick

I did do a serch but i didnt see that one or any others, but i will look again
FollowupID: 450361

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 17:10

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 17:10
The one Nick refers to may have been my "trampoline" setup -in the pics on the Campomatic page at....
homepages.picknowl.com.au/darian
That setup is indicated, in my view, when the drawbar is fully occupied with hardware (as on the Campomatic)..... mine is loosely fixed fore and aft with shock cord and occies etc, so that tight turns are accomodated. Just concluded a long outback trip and all went well re stones (but I still cover the back window). In the case of the Cavalier, you might be better off with the traditional right angled barrier, angled down at 45 degrees.
Overall, I think its best to let the stones keep going if possible - instead of stopping and re-directing them.
As you may have found, some trailer makers put little effort into stone protection - I'm sure they would do a lot better if the went bush themselves. The only Cavalier owner I know made his own, which worked well (there are no pics that I know of though).
AnswerID: 192504

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 18:52

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 18:52
Kevin,
I run a Halls camper which uses a design I've not seen elswhere. Imagine a vertical "mast" at the front of your A-frame, then shade cloth wrapped around the mast and returned to the front corner on each side of your trailer body.

This set up deflects stones to the side and behind the tow vehicle tailgate.

Unfortunatley I don't have any rig photos loaded tdate, however if you Google Halls Camper Trailers (Shepperton Vic) I'm sure you will gwt the idea.

The benefits of this type of system is that it is extremely simple to fabricate, incurs next to no weight penalty and is easy to remove or replace if required.

I believe that you could purchase the where withall to manufactur the shade cloth bit from Bunnings etc: for not much more than fifty bucks.

If the photos on theHalls site does not give you enough info/datail feel free to Member Message me and I will take some close up photies and e-mail them to you

Ian
AnswerID: 192525

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 22:58

Sunday, Sep 03, 2006 at 22:58
i have jerry can holders on the front draw bar with flat surfaces facing forwards (hope that makes sense) and used to get stones etc thrown on to the back of the maverick - i put some speaker foam (looks like upside down egg cartons) on the front of the can holders and nary a rock or anything ends up on the cat anymore.....cost $15 for the foam and used some old silican tube to do the the sticking to the metal. still going after 5yrs - just looks used - but then so do i. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 192573

Sponsored Links